Saturday 9 February 2013

doodle heart brooches


Hearts are for life: not just for Valentines Day! You may have noticed that I'm a little in love with the heart shape, and it doesn't matter what time of year it is. But I guess now felt like as good a time as any to make these little doodle brooches I've had on my mind.

Doodle brooches have been on my list of 34 things to make for a while. The inspiration came from the book Lovely Things to Make for Girls of Slender Means by Eithne Farry, which I won in a giveaway a while back (thanks Polly!) It is full of creative ideas, including these "yellow split pea badges".

I used fabric t-shirt pens on undyed cotton, simply doodled away, and then sewed on felt at the back and some brooch backs. Instead of yellow split peas, I just used toy stuffing. I have this feeling that although a little pouch of split peas would feel lovely, it might be a bit heavy for a brooch, tugging at clothing. I do love her doodled faces though. Clearly there is potential to do something more adventurous and detailed than my little heart/triangle doodles.

I so enjoyed making them though: I got to indulge my love of doodling, hearts and brooch-making all at once! I'll surely be making more. If you try making your own doodled brooches, let me know as I'd love to see them.

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...